From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:10:39 -0600
Subject: RE: New American Factfinder
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:08:11 +0000
From: Hallie Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

We had a presentation on the new Census products by a speaker from the
Atlanta Regional Office of the Census Bureau at our annual meeting of
Georgia Depository Libraries last month.  According to our speaker,
while the 1990 data is still hosted on the Census servers & still
accessible, you will have to use Google to find it; she wasn't sure why
the Census Bureau chose to take it off of American FactFinder.  Needless
to say, this caused a great deal of consternation amongst the government
documents librarians present & will undoubtedly cause commotion amongst
the wider documents community as the word spreads.  Hopefully the Census
Bureau will rethink their decision soon.

Hallie Pritchett
Map and Federal Regional Depository Librarian
University of Georgia Libraries
Athens, GA 30602
706-542-0690 (Map Library)
706-542-0664 (Main Library)