From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:57:48 -0600
Subject:        NACIS> Cartographic Perspectives, Issue 66
Date:   Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:30:54 -0500 (EST)
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

Welcome to 2011, NACIS!

We would like to announce that Cartographic Perspectives, Issue 66, the
second digital issue of the journal, is now available. You can download
the entire PDF at the following link:

<%20http://www.nacis.org/CP/CP66/CP66.pdf>http://www.nacis.org/CP/CP66/CP66.pdf

<http://www.nacis.org/CP/CP66/CP66.pdf>

In this issue you will learn more about the transition that CP is
undergoing to a mostly open access, digital format. We are excited about
the possibilities of this new format, including: faster turn-around
times on peer-reviewed articles, a reallocation of costs from paper and
ink to supporting journal content, a wider audience for distribution,
not to mention saving paper. Additionally, for our visual field, a new
way to show the beautiful work happening, right now, in cartography!

We are not just exploring a different format for the journal, but also
new content. A new section, “On the Horizon” which was the result of the
Digital Transition Committee, provides tutorials—step-by-step “how to”
instructions—in the world of digital cartography. Additionally, there is
a section that will contain rotating content throughout the year, “In
the Marginalia”. Each issue will contain this section, but the content
will cycle through these three topics: a NACIS update from the newly
created position of Communication Director, a highlight of the Student
Web Map and Poster Competition winners and an interview with a celebrity
cartographer, performed by our Student Board Member.

In addition to CP, it is proving to be another very busy year for the
organization, as we focus on creating a more supportive structure to
continue all of the great developments and ongoing projects within the
organization. We are also exploring the possibility of updating our
website, which includes an overhaul of our membership database, while
integrating with the changes of CP and CartoTalk. We also continue to
have a lot of interest from other geo-spatially minded groups in our
organization to collaborate. The annual meeting planning is already
underway, please get in touch with us if you have interest in
participating in the planning.

I recently asked the Board, “Why do you NACIS?”. I wish I could share
all of the responses here, however the word cloud contained at the end
of this message is a nice summary of the sentiments the Board shared of
congenial nature and respect that we all share for the profession and
for one another.

There continues to be an excitement from members asking how they can get
involved further in the organization. If you have questions like this, I
encourage you to contact me at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I’d also love to hear why you NACIS.

NACIS is NICEST and we’re glad to be here with you in this mapmaking
journey.

All the best,
Tanya Buckingham
President, 2011