From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:15:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Interesting item on Carolina Boundary Survey
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 10:12:52 -0400
From: Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Peter,

The state line was not technically moved from it's original described
position, but rather just more accurately mapped and marked on the
ground - which did result in it shifting from where many people
thought it was.

The reason for the survey was because of conflicting opinions and maps
of where the line was located.  The surveyors heard many stories from
landowners of how they had been told or surmised where the line
supposedly was located.

With considerable development occurring along the line, there's been a
long term need to know its exact location, but as you can imagine, a
lot of hesitancy to open the can of worms.

Jeff Essic

Jeff Essic, Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
(919) 515-5698
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/gis