From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:05:18 -0500
forwarded from lis-maps

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Rethinking Maps book, new paperback version published
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 23:14:14 +0100
From: martin dodge <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello

Apologies for this crossposted bit of self-promotion but I wanted to flag
that our book Rethinking Maps has just been reprinted as a paperback by
Routledge.

The volume of 12 original essays from a wide range of scholars writing
about meanings of maps was first published in 2009. While it attracted
a good deal of interest and positive feedback, widespread readership was
somewhat stymied by the publishers price tag for the hardback. We now hope
the new paperback version will be seen as more affordable for an edited
volume. It also includes a nice new cover design, which plays homage to
the blank map from Lewis Carroll's famous poem The Hunting of the Snark.

The chapters in Rethinking Maps: New Frontiers in Cartographic Theory
are as follows:

1. Thinking about maps
by Rob Kitchin, Chris Perkins and Martin Dodge

2. Rethinking maps and identity: choropleths, clines and biopolitics
by Jeremy W. Crampton

3. Rethinking maps from a more-than-human perspective: nature-society,
mapping and conservation territories
by Leila Harris and Helen Hazen

4. Web mapping 2.0
by Georg Gartner

5. Modelling the earth: a short history
by Michael F. Goodchild

6. theirwork: the development of sustainable mapping
by Dominica Williamson and Emmet Connolly

7. Cartographic representation and the construction of lived worlds:
understanding cartographic practice as embodied knowledge
by Amy D. Propen

8. The 39 Steps and the mental map of classical cinema
by Tom Conley

9. The emotional life of maps and other visual geographies
by Jim Craine and Stuart C. Aitken

10. Playing with maps
Chris Perkins

11. Ce n'est pas le monde (This is not the world)
John Krygier and Denis Wood

12. Mapping modes, methods and moments: a manifesto for map studies
by Martin Dodge, Chris Perkins and Rob Kitchin

You can read our editor's introduction and concluding chapter freely
online at:
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/Rethinking_Maps_Introduction_pageproof.pdf
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/Rethinking_Maps_conclusions_pageproofs.pdf
(Note, these are uncorrected pageproofs, so slightly different from the
printed version.)

Some more details on Rethinking Maps are given on the Routledge webpage
for the book at:
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415461528/

The book can be ordered from Amazon amongst other book sellers,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rethinking-Maps-Frontiers-Cartographic-Routledge/dp/0415676673
http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Maps-Frontiers-Cartographic-Routledge/dp/0415676673/

We hope the more affordable price (and the new cover!) will mean the book
reaches a much wider audience.

Many thanks
Martin

----