From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:14:21 -0500
Subject:        Applied Geography Conference October 19-21, 2011 in Redlands, CA.
Date:   Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:32:02 -0500
From:   May Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>

*Message authorized and sent through the UCGIS %%list.name%% listserv*

This year’s Applied Geography Conference is again shaping up to be a
great one to attend.

1.The preliminary program is available online with abstracts for all
scheduled presentations. To browse the conference program, please visit
http://applied.geog.kent.edu/AGC2011Program/ConferenceProgram.mht.

2.Continuing from the success of ‘*Retail Power Day*’ at last year’s
Applied Geography Conference in Fort Worth, Texas, we will again have
more than a full-day’s sessions on retail geography and business geography.

3.We are honored to have *Dr. Michael F. Goodchild* to give a talk on
‘*Critical Spatial Thinking*’ at the conference luncheon – everybody is
invited.

4.A group of distinguished geographers will be in the opening keynote
session, ‘*/Beyond the Ivory Tower: Applied Careers for Geographers/*,’
to share their views, experiences, and suggestions for applying your
geography knowledge and skills into building a career for yourself. This
keynote session will be held in ESRI’s Auditorium, followed by an
opening reception.

Making early arrangement for traveling to Redlands is essential as the
number of flights and rental cars available will be limited. Specifically,

a.You can either travel to *Los Angeles Airport* and drive to Redlands
(slightly more than an hour) or you can fly to *Ontario Airport* and
drive for about half an hour to Redlands.

b.We have a block of rooms reserved for our group, ‘Applied Geography
Conference,’ that enjoys discounted rate. When making reservation at
*Ayres Hotel Redlands*(909-335-9024), please make sure to mention our
group name to have a $99/night rate that includes PM wine and cheese and
breakfast.

c.Alternatively, you can choose to stay in *Hilton San
Bernardino*(909-889-0133).

The AGC in Redlands is the first time in the conferences’ 34-year
history to be held in West Coast. All are welcome to come. Inquiries can
be sent to Dr. Jay Lee ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).