Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:56:11 -0600
7bit
From:
Subject: Sanborn copyright
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:46:49 -0500
From: Rich Boardman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: Rich Boardman <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

   I'm a bit confused about copyright as it pertains to the Sanborn
volumes. It's clear that everything published 1922 and before is in the
public domaine but does that apply to maps that have been revised
annually? Do renewal filings count? The first 14 volumes of the
Philadelphia Sanborns were originally published 1922 and before but they
were revised on an annual basis.
   I have volumes from the mid-1950s and mid-1960s whose copyright was
renewed in the 27th-28th year time frame. Does this extend the original
copyright even if they were originally published pre-1922? Does the pre-
1923 copyright only apply to volumes that were never revised?
   I know this is murky territory but does anyone have experience in this
situation? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Rich Boardman
Map Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia