From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:24:33 -0600
Subject: New projects at the Broer Map Library
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:13:46 -0500
From: Dave Broer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Several years ago we experienced a loss which has prevented us from
applying many updates to our online site, but in the past six months we
have been diligently working to provide a framework for growth over the
next few years.  For example, last spring we launched a new placename
database on our site to identify places and maps that contain that
place.  This tool allows users to search, not only our online resources,
but those of several other online historic map collections.  Currently
this database is limited to our region (New England), but we expect to
expand this nationally within the next few months.

We have also acquired a new wide-format scanner and have begun scanning
maps again from our 40,000+ paper collection.  So far we've only scanned
and added about 1,000 maps to our existing online offering, but we plan
to steadily continue to scan new maps as time progresses.  This brings
our online offering to nearly 6,000 maps in approximately 300
categories.  Our collection focuses on 19th & 20th century maps, but we
do have a few from outside those periods.

We have also completely updated our Website and are slowly tweaking
different aspects so look for additional improvements and tools in the
months to come.

You can find our Placename Database here:

http://broermapsonline.org/site/placename-directory/

and you can browse or search for our online historic maps by using the
links on our homepage:

http://broermapsonline.org/

Please be aware that as we transition to the new site, some of the
online maps may not load properly at first.  Please be patient with with us!

Dave Broer
Director, Broer Map Library

Andrea Broer
Librarian & Historian, Broer Map Library