From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:15:55 -0600
Subject:        Re: New Factfinder Release (Doesn't Like Firefox, however)
Date:   Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:03:08 +0000
From:   Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I wanted to clarify my point.

Since so many websites of interest to people on this list that
interactively updated tabular, cartographic, or imagery content I was
trying to make the point that generally if a website works in one modern
browser and not in another, the issue is /most likely/ with something on
a specific user's computer. It can be a real hassle tracking down
exactly where the process is breaking down - especially in this day and
age of corporate/institutional proxy servers, and filters, etc. Which is
why I appreciate this list and being able to ask whether it works for
other people that care about the same types of site.

As Linda has reported in her case all she needed was a simple clearing
of her cache. I did not mean to point to any specific extension (e.g.
AdBlock) as the culprit in this case, merely that extensions that are
designed to keep unwanted materials off of web pages sometimes keep off
the wanted parts as well so it is worth a checking extensions in your
troubleshooting workflow. Of those types of extensions AdBlock and
NoScript were the two that came to my mind. There are many others, such
as DoNotTrack that Joel mentions, or Shut Up! (hides comments), and on
and on.

That said, I just tested the NoScript extension in Firefox and it does
indeed "break" the American Factfinder until you grant permission to run
scripts on the census.gov <http://census.gov> domain.

Mark Jackson

PS - Here's my general troubleshooting workflow: http://xkcd.com/627/