From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:08:45 -0600
Subject:        The Future of the Decennial Census: Where is it Going?
Date:   Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:38:51 -0800
From:   Carlos Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], DOCTECH-L <[log in to unmask]>,

This morning, I, along with other 100+ folks who attended the webinar on
the newly redesigned American Factfinder, found out an interesting piece
of news from the presenter who is from the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
During the presentation, I asked if the 1990 Census was included in the
American Factfinder (AFF)...well, the response I got was surprising and
enlightening which precipitated lots of inquiries from those attending
the webinar online.
The speaker stated:
* That the 1990 Census was not available via the AFF and could only be
accessed via FTP.
* That AFF can only hold the current and previous census online (meaning
only 2010 and 2000) and when the 2020 Census comes along, the 2000 Census
      would not be available online on AFF.
* That AFF will continue this year but not sure about its future next year.
* That not all census information is located in AFF.
Basically, make sure to retain your tangible census volumes and
CD-ROM/DVD.  But, 2010 Census is not printing anything in tangible
format so when the time comes to get off from AFF, there will be no
print back ups for depositories.
As you can imagine, there are a lot of concerns about what is to come of
historical censuses in the Internet era if the U.S. Census Bureau is not
retaining the historical censuses online and not making all census data
available either.
You may want to communicate with the Census Bureau, your Congressman,
and your Senator about the ramifications of removing census data and not
including all census information online permanently.

         ,-~~-.___.

        / |  '     \ "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of

       (  )         0 the few or the one."

        \_/-, ,----'

           ====           // Mr. Spock

          /  \-'~;    /~~~(O) Star Trek:  The Wrath of Khan

Carlos A. Diaz

Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms

James E. Brooks Library

Central Washington University

Mailstop 7548

Ellensburg, WA 98926