From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 05:50:20 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Virginia R Hetrick PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "Elizabeth J Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:09:01 AM
Subject: LCSH for northeast towns & cities

Actually, Beth, it's not only the Northeast but other places as well.
It's usually because you have two legal entities such as a city and a
township have the same name.  Additionally, depending on the state's
rules, the city may or may not be a legal subdivision of of the
township of the same name. In MD and VA, they generally are not, for
example, Baltimore City + Baltimore County and Fairfax + Fairfax
County.  However, in California, we have the Citiy of Orange in Orange
County and the City of Los Angeles in Los Angeles County.  But, by the
time the Anglo-Saxon legal system reached the west coast, the rules
became that every incorporated city, town (not township), or similar
legal entity, needed to be part of a county.

The way things are done in the Northeast is way from another century,
practically in their entirety, but pieces are just about (not exactly
though) like what happened farther on south and west (the latter as a
direction, not a location).

Hope this helps

virginia