From:
Christopher Winters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:56:11 +0000
If you want the maps in storage to be usable when they're requested, I kind of suspect on the basis of experience that putting them in tubes for a long time is not the way to go.

Examples of what happens: The older census maps that our Reference Department had stored in tubes for several years required weeks of flattening before they could be used.  Maps from India that apparently spend many months in tubes on their way to the Library are unusable until they've been rolled backwards for a couple of weeks. And the large, gorgeous satellite images that we got as a gift a couple of years ago, which had been kept rolled up in tubes for a decade and more, rip every time you try to flatten them.

Hope this is useful advice.

Chris Winters
University of Chicago Library