From:
John Kawula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:22:48 -0700
Just an FYI to the group:

The newer versions have the west side of the state printed on one side
and the east on the other. The previous had all of Alaska on one side
only. Not sure when they made the shift. The WAML 1999 conference
included a field trip to the Denver USGS. I tried to get several
additional copies of the one sided version. I was told by the sales
staff that there had been many but they were ordered against their
judgement and protest to destroy all the remaining copies. They were
upset as they too felt the single sided was easier to use.

Also both versions show 63's covering all of the Aleutians and other
islands close to Russia. I never did a complete investigation but many
appeared to be to be completely non-existent or at least never
publicly distributed (presumably due to proximity to Russia) Yes I
realize there were other series/scales over the years (some AMS) but
these indexes clearly imply complete 63 coverage.

John Kawula
Former (now retired) Government Documents and Maps Librarian
University of Alaska Fairbanks