Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 14:38:44 EST

I'd like to draw attention to a marvellous exhibition in Berlin - for
people close enough to visit it or who will be travelling there soon.
An exhibit called DER ROTE PLANET IM KARTEN BILD  (roughly 'The Red Planet
in Maps') is on at the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin from Dec. 17 '93 to 28
Feb. '94.  400 maps of Mars from the first (Herschel, 1784) to the most
recent on CD-ROM.  This includes maps of Phobos and Deimos.

There is in addition a catalog - same title - put together by renowned German
historian of Mars mapping, Jurgen Blunck.  I just got a copy (because I
contributed to the exhibit, though I'll not be able to see it).  It's
great too, a superb reference to old Mars maps, very well illustrated and
full of bibliographic details.  Any serious research library in planetary
studies or history of cartography should have it!

I believe the exhibition is on later at the Hamburg Planetarium.

I don't know how the catalog could be ordered but you could try contacting
the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin at Potsdamer Strasser 33, 10785 Berlin,
Germany.

Phil Stooke, Department of Geography,
University of Western Ontario,
London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2  ([log in to unmask])