From:
"Virginia Hetrick, in sunny Calif" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 1994 13:11:56 EST
Since there doesn't seem to be a general geography-oriented list,
I've sent this to two that I know about.  If you get both, I apologize
for the cross-posting to GIS-L and MAPS-L.

I got the following from a professor in our math department.  He
first asked a question about how to find out about the aftershock
time series (no reference to location).  I thought, "Too bad he's
not interested in WHERE this is happening."  About 20 minutes later
he forwarded a list of the aftershocks with date, time, long/lat,
and a "people readable" description of the location followed by the
information below.  It turns out that there is a weekly report put
out by CalTech's seismology folks (Kate Hutton is the most credible one
in my view of the world) that contains the list plus some narrative as
well as reference to pictures and images that are available by FTP
and/or gopher.  The weekly reports seem to be based on Wednesdays.

Have at 'em.

virginia
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 .
 . buncha stuff removed to save bytes on the Internet
 .
From: Jan Deleeuw <[log in to unmask]>

If you are interested in information about the quake, you can get
all you can eat on internet. Perhaps this is a good time to practice
travel on the electronic highway.

Try the following commands.

ftp seismo.gps.caltech.edu
       login as anonymous
       give your email address as password
       cd pub/ca.earthquakes
       get the files you like

gopher nisee.CE.Berkeley.EDU
       then take it from there

gopher delphi.com
       then take it from there (I had no success with this server so far)

Also try subscribing to the newsgroups

ca.earthquakes
sci.geo.geology

using rn or gnus, or whatever news reading software you prefer.