From:
Margaret Brill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:41:44 EST
We have had StreetAtlas with MapExpert for some time now and I cannot recommend
it highly enough.  It contains street maps for all cities in the U.S., however
small.  The MapExpert enhancement enables the user to add text, symbols, etc.
and includes a very easy and flexible printing function, with a very attractive
product.  It is one of the best computer programs I have ever used, and the
patrons love it.  The best thing about it is that they can use it themselves,
with minimal instruction.  As well as the obvious uses, such as producing street
maps of obscure towns people have used it to make maps with directions for
conferences, etc. and some have even been able to add thematic information, such
as the effect of dropping nuclear bombs on New York City!  My only caveat is
that, since it is produced from the Tiger Files it is somewhat out-of-date
(early 80s I think).  So there are some missing streets and some of the
landmarks have out-dated labels.
We are running it on a 486-33 pc - I think you would need at least a 386 - and
you need Windows 3.1 and VGA card and monitor. It costs $295 from DeLorme
mapping and is worth every penny. The copyright restrictions come with it and we
have posted them by the terminal.  DeLorme's phone number is 207-865-1234.
Margaret Brill
Duke University