From:
Connie Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 1994 15:16:27 EDT

Folks:
        I'm posting this to both Maps-L and Geonet-L; sorry for any
duplication.
        This, perhaps, is a question for catalogers, but also for geosci
librns and esp. -users- of geosci info.  We've been going round and round
about the design of our publications with the administrators in our parent
agency (it is, indeed a silly subject, but because they take it so deathly
seriously, we're forced to deal with it).  The newest twist is that they
don't want our Division agency name on the cover, although they would
allow it on the title page.  So, the credit on the cover could only read:

        WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES

although the credit on the title page could read:

        WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
        Division of Geology and Earth Resources

(providing, of course, that the typeface of the Division's name was small
enough.  We got in trouble for that too-- for having the Division's name
as big as the Department's.)

        The question posed to you-all is, would/could such a move confuse
catalogers, librarians, students, the public?  The new cover look is
radically different from the old, with "bold" graphics, so our new
publications will not look anything like our old.  We're concerned about
our stuff being easily cited and easily found in big, complex libraries.

        Confusions could of course be eliminated if we had ISSNs for all
our publications; maybe that's the best answer.

        But in the meantime--  Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

                Connie Manson
                Washington Div. Geology & Earth Resources
                Olympia, Wash.