From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 12:12:30 EST
Several messages concerning maps that are cartographic ballads.----Johnnie

          Wed,  9 Feb 1994 20:08 EST
          Ugly Surveyor <EDNEY@BINGVAXA>
          RE: Cartographic ballads

Darius raises the question of maps which might be "ballards for the optic
nerve."  A good source book is one titled "Pictorial Maps" ca. 1992 by a New
York publisher, done by an illustrator for Time Magazine whose name escapes
me ... I thought I had the book checked out of the library but I cannot find
it on my shelf ...

I also HIGHLY recommend the incredible eighteenth-century MS maps and plans
done by the Ecole des Ponts et Chaussees, as reproduced in full color by Antoine
Picon and Michel Yvon, "L'Ingenieur Artiste: Dessins anciens de l'Ecole des
Ponts et Chaussees" (Paris, 1989).  My favorites are the trompe l'oeil images
of  several maps of different styles and scales all laid atop each other
(pp.57-61), also reproduced in black and white in Picon's "French Architects
and Engineers in the Age of Enlightenment" (Cambridge University Press, 1992),
211-228.  (this last book is currently my favorite visual and intellectual
feast, at least until the next volume of the History of Cartography appears.)

Matthew Edney

      Wed, 9 Feb 94 16:31:50 EST
      [log in to unmask] (Keith Clarke)
         Re: Cartographic ballads

Re; Darius's challenge on "a ballad for the optic nerve".

I nominate the Raven colored map of U.S. Lower 48 Shaded
Relief. It combines digital shading and esthetic colors,
and just looks great!
Keith Clarke

              Wed, 09 Feb 94 12:24:28 PST
              Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
              Re: Cartographic ballads

There is a map that is often held up as a brilliant use of descriptive
statistics.  It is the famous map of the size of Napolean's army as
they advanced on Moscow and then retreated after being nearly wiped out
by the cold of a Russian winter.  It is not "artistically" beautiful,
but it is a potent example of the power of maps to communicate.  Sad to
say, I don't remember the name of the cartographer, but it is so famous
I am sure someone on this list will know who it was.  It is easy to find
in contemporary textbooks.

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't ask much in their fantasy lives.
GOMBERG@UCSFVM           Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU     fax-> (415)731-7797
For info on West Coast Live send email to [log in to unmask]

      [log in to unmask] (Iain Taylor)
         Re: Cartographic ballads
      Thu, 10 Feb 1994 08:16:33 -0500 (EST)

At the joint NACIS/CCA meeting to be held in Ottawa in Aug.  there will be a
display of maps sent in from across Canada as potential cnadidates for the
International Cartographic Assoc. exhibition in Barcelona next year.

Beauty as well as more mundane aspects of map design and innovation will be
among the points on which these maps will be judged.

Just thought you might have a candidtae or two there.

Iain taylor
National Atlas of Canada

      Thu, 10 Feb 1994 08:31:00 -0500 (EST)
      ALAN BRENNER 908-906-6830 <[log in to unmask]>
         RE: Cartographic ballads

          Edward Tufte's _Envisioning Information_ (1990. Cheshire, CT.
          Graphics Press) is a good starting point for (carto)graphic
          excellence.  He provides several good examples of maps that are
          both informative and beautiful.  In addition, I would add the
          maps of the Swiss cartographer, Walter Isaard (if I remember the
          name correctly).  His topographic maps (in particular, the
          terrain shading) are wonderful, although this may be in part due
          to the physical geography.

Alan Brenner
My thoughts may not reflect Agency policy, etc.......
U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region II, ESD
[log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]

      10 Feb 94 08:07:39 CST
      John A Olson <[log in to unmask]>
         beautiful maps

In regards to the question posed by Darius. I think that any of the maps
produced by Raven Maps and Images from Medford, Oregon come to my mind first.
Particularly the Crater Lake and Hawaii maps.

John A. Olson                      (612) 624-5757
S-76 Wilson Library           Fax: (612) 626-9353
309 19th Ave. S.              Bitnet: j-olso@uminn1
Minneapolis, MN 55455         Internet: [log in to unmask]