From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:04:17 EST
This message is from

      Tue, 15 Feb 1994 22:11:24 -0230
         RE: How Do I Create Maps for Publication?

>       MX%"[log in to unmask]" 14-FEB-1994 14:11:08.95
> Subj: How Do I Create Maps for Publication?

>   I need to prepare a series of maps illustrating the growth
> of Cleveland for a book and I am looking for tips on how to
> make them easily understood by the general readership.  However,
> the page size only permits maps of about 14.5 cm by 21 cm and I
> am concerned that squeezing an entire county into that frame will
> result in a scale too small to permit the comprehension of essential
> details.  Showing a network of railroad lines in 1890, for instance,
> would be enhanced by providing referencing landmarks, political
> boundaries, etc (perhaps in half-tones), but such orienting details
> may make the maps too cluttered.

>   No doubt it is the resolution of such problems that marks great
> cartography and can only be acquired by practice and genius.  Lacking
> both, what might I consider to solve the problem today?

Hire or consult with a cartographer.  I doubt anyone one can help over the
net.  I personally would need to see the text and understand exactly what
your map/graphic  objectives are.

>  Has anyone wrestled with this problem recently?

Everyday

>  I'd appreciate any tips!

Answer this question:  How do I say what to whom?  You have to really
understand the What and the Who parts before you you can settle the HOW.
The HOW part has two aspects: design and technique.  They can be somewhat
interrelated and also depend upon the quality of the final published work (
eg. xerox or printed on glossy paper).  This might sound a little vague,
but given the level of my understanding of your project, it is the best I
 can offer.

>   Also, I understand that some have imported TIGER files or MapExpert
> files into programs like CorelDraw to produce publication-quality maps,
> rather than create them on paper.  Given the simplicity of the maps I
> expect to create (black on white line drawings), perhaps that is more
> than I need and perhaps I could just run off some maps at the university
> GIS lab using some available electronic county map files and the output
> functions of, say, MapInfo to get a final product.

Yes, all the above is possible.  Coreldraw is a useful tool in small scale,
one off map production.  Layering and text handling are two major strengths
.  Corel also has many export and import filters.

>   I'd love to hear from anyone trying to generate publication-quality
> maps on some sort of software program, or anyone with ideas on how to make
> small scale maps easier to comprehend.

You might want to look at some basic introductory cartographic text books.
I can't remember all the exact titles at this moment.  Check your Library
 under the subject  cartography. There are a whole bunch of them.
  Perhaps someone else on the net can suggest a few titles faster than I.

> Bill Barrow

 Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK,
...gary
--
Gary E. McManus        phone:(709)737-8996      fax:(709)737-4000
Memorial University of Newfoundland Cartographic Labortory (MUNCL)