From:
Velma Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 10:59:58 EST

>I have a question for my fellow Canadian catalogers.
>Do you use the OCLC database for catologing or some other
>system based in Canada?  Here in my map library we were
>discussing how to catalog your topographic maps of the
>1:1M, 1:500K, 1:250K and 1:25K scale for our collection,
>and this question came up.
>
>Just a curious question from your neighbor to the south.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Erin
>(U.S.A.)
>
>IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMKMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;
>: Erin P. Donnelly [edonnelly]  : U.S. Geological Survey Library :
>: Circulation Technician        : Cartographic Information Center:
>: Bitnet: @isdresv.bitnet       : 952 National Center; Rm. BC-111:
>: Internet: @isdres.er.usgs.gov : 12201 Sunrise Valley Drive     :
>: Voice: 703-648-4400           : Hours: 8AM - 4PM   Mon. - Fri. :
>:                               : Voice: 703-648-5555            :
>HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMJMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM<
>   The opinions expressed are those of mine alone and in no way
>      reflect the opinions of the U.S. Geological Survey.
>          Any similarities detected are unintentional.

Erin,
Some Canadian map collections may contribute to OCLC, some do contribute
records to the UTLAS data base, which is owned by ISM Library Information
Systems of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
 The records of this institution (National Archives of Canada, Cartographic
and Architectural Sector) are on the UTLAS data base.  I know that Utlas
users can access OCLC so I would imagine that the reverse is true as well.
 You would have to inquire.

We have not completed the cataloguing of our federal map series.  For
operational needs, we have entered skeletal records on to Utlas for most
of the topographic series.  Listed below are the record sequence numbers
for the series you requested.
1:25 000        92855703
1:50 000        92855701
1:250 000       92855697
1:500 000       92855699
The skeletal records for the earlier series which these supercede are also on
the system should you need them.

1:1 000 000     92853766
This series has a full record.  The Canadian maps are part of the
International map of the world, 1:1 million.  We do not have a separate
series at this scale.

Complete descriptions exist for a number of series including the
various Canada Land Inventory land capability series, the aeronautical
charts, photo maps of Canada and several other miscellaneous series.

If you cannot get access to these records through OCLC, please contact me
and I will see if I can download them and get them to you through email or
someother means.  I know that ISM is planning an Internet connection, but
I do not know if it is operational as yet.

Good luck

--
Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada