From:
Margaret Wilkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 12:38:09 EST

message----------------------------
> I have been enjoying the discussion concerning maps as ballads
and other
> types of music.  It has been fun to revisit old friends through
the eyes
> of other map fans.  The discussion has stimulated my little
"grey cells"
> to think about maps in poetry and other literature.  This
thought process
> led me to try to identify any songs which have lyrics that
mention maps
> or any music that has maps in it's title.  We know there have
been special
> renditions of songs for mapping conventions and puns or play
on words in-
> volving maps e.g. Mapping My Way to Glory.  However, I am
thinking of
> original pieces of music.  So, does anyone on the List have
suggestions of
> music which in its lyrics or title has the word maps (or a
variation,
> including other languages)
> in its lyrics or title?
>
> The following are offered to stimulate your imaginations: (1)
Stopwatch and
> an Ordnance Map, op. 15 by Samuel Barber (1954) An Orchestral
score.(1954);
> (2) The Map Makers. by Nathalia Crane(poems) music by Frances
E. Friedman
> (1925): (3)  Road Map for a Free Jazz Group by Michel Legrand
(1981). and
> Rhoda Map by Thad Jones performed by the Mel Lewis Jazz
Orchestra (1990).

> There is no grand prize for the best suggestion unless someone
wants a map
> of Florida or Gainesville!!! I just hope everyone has as much
fun as I did
> compiling my list.  HelenJane Armstrong, Map & Imagery Library,
University
> of Florida.

I had forgotten that I knew any map verse or music, but in
1984 the National Library of Scotland put on a major summer
exhibition entitled 'I'd like a map', and I was the researcher
and selecter of items for it. One section of this was devoted to
'Maps in Verse and Music'. It included the following items which
may be of interest:

Cedric THORPE DAVIE. Directions for a map. Cantata for soprano
or tenor and string quartet. 1956. (Davie was Prof of Music at
Univ of St Andrews, Scotland). Musical setting for poem cited
below.

Alastair REID. Directions for a map. Poem in his published verse
collection, 'To Lighten My House'. New York, 1953. (Reid is a
Scot from Fife, who lives mostly in Spain or US now, and wrote
extensively for The New Yorker).

Julia USHER. Ordnance Survey. Seven poems mapped for tenor,
flute, clarinet, viola and cello. London, 1978. Mrs Usher too has
Scottish associations (and surname!).

David CALDER. Continents: eight map-poems. 1:70,000,000.
[Liverpool, England], 1981 ( Yes, there is a scale - the poems
are written down to form the shape of the continents).

[ALEPH] Geographical Fun: being humorous outlines of various
countries. London, [1869]. Each country depicted in this item
(all European) is caricatured as a human figure or figures, and
there is a verse under each one.  It has of course been produced
as a facsimile :- 'Geographical fun; or, humorous outlines of
various countries: map caricatures of twelve European countries,
reprinted from the 1869 collection by Aleph - William Harvey.
Witney (Oxfordshire): Wychwood Editions, 1990. Introduction by
Robin L Marsh.

Photocopying of those still in British copyright - all but the
last - presents complications, though all are available for
reference in this Map Library or our Music Library.

Come and see us!
Margaret Wilkes

MARGARET WILKES            HEAD OF MAP LIBRARY
NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND, 33 SALISBURY PLACE
         EDINBURGH EH9 1SL.   SCOTLAND
TEL: 031-226-4531 x 3411.   FAX: 031-668-3472.
E-MAIL :  [log in to unmask]