From:
Eric Speas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 1994 16:18:32 EDT
I wrote a rather lenghty report for my Advance Cataloging class last
semester on issues in cataloging cartographic materials and I also work
twice a week in the Map Room at the Perry-Cataneda Library here at UT.
To the best of my knowledge, the map librarian here doesn't catalog the
7.5 topos at the sheet level.  The maps are filed alphabetically within
each state, with access given by the map index.  My personal opinion is to
provide access down to the sheet level.  During the age of the card
catalog, I doubt any librarian would have wanted to undertake such a task.
But with the advant of the OPAC and the virtual library, access can be
given in a wide variety of ways.  One idea that maybe tried, and someone
might suggest this to the USGS, is to have the map index on the OPAC, that
way no access is lost, but the availability is increased.  Just a thought.

Sincerely yours,

Eric Speas

          \@  @/
           \  /