From:
"Joyce A. Ryerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 10:15:17 EDT
USGS maps are cataloged in LC classification at Dartmouth.  Series are
usually cataloged under one record with a title reflecting the entire set.
The 1:24,000 are cataloged by state.  The quadrangles are filed
alphabetically within the set with an index sheet.  Some series are not
broken down by state but cataloged under one record, such as the 1:100,000
and 1:250,000.  USGS thematic maps are cataloged individually.  I am kind of
sorry the National Atlas maps have been done in this manner rather than
keeping them together.

I don't know if the database would be confusing to have a record for each
map.  I find that most people need to look at the index sheet to figure out
what they really want.   Also, we would not have as many maps cataloged as we
do if each sheet had to have a record.  Maps are not cataloged as quickly and
on as regular a basis as books are.  We are going to try and automate the
circulation of the Map Room this summer.  It should be interesting since I've
been told about 50% of our maps are not online.  I use   shelflist cards most
of the time.  An individual record for each map in a series would be handy
for circulation purposes.

Joyce Ryerson
Baker Library Map Room
Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH)