From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:37:27 EDT
Four messages on the GNIS CD.  Note the last message about GNIS on the Internet
--------------------Johnnie

         Re: GNIS CD
      Thu, 21 Apr 94 08:06:29 -0700

Re OMNI, GNIS, et al.: a few years ago I did a review
that compared Omni hardcopy to existing softcover,
and then perhaps a year ago a comparison of Omni
in CD with GNIS.  Following is from my memories of
doing those reviews:
a. yes, they're from the same base database. In
every monthly Publications of the U.S. Geological
Survey, under the GNIS section, is info about
buying the GNIS db.
b. the hardcopy volume of Omni that include the
state in which this library is located, and the
1-vol. index to names in the US, are on our ready-
ref shelf and we use them several times a week.
I recommend them highly.
c. Re the CD: it uses Silver Platter software,
which is fine for standard text index searching;
but I found the interface on GNIS to be easier
to use.  If you use Silver Platter software often and like
it, you might come to a different conclusion.
Mary Larsgaard, UCSB

      Thu, 21 Apr 1994 15:28:49 CDT
      "Marsha L Selmer  " <U32718@UICVM>
         GNIS vs Omni Gazetteer

Based on my test of some obscure hydrographic features in my home state
of Indiana I would say that the GNIS is more thorough than the Omni.
     Marsha L. Selmer, Map Librarian, University of Illinois at Chicago

-----------------------------------

      Thu, 21 Apr 1994 16:42:40 EST
         Re: GNIS CD

I have not used the OMNI nor heard any coments about it. My experience
with the GNIS usage is great.  Seems to be more data than I'd ever really
need to have. Plus very simple to use and will be only $57 US.

John Shanton
ESIC-Reston, VA.
US Geologicial Survey

        I am still hoping to get some discussion going on the OMNI
Gazetteer on CD-ROM. It apparently uses GNIS as a major source plus
others, but I guess the real use depends on software and it is a
Silver Platter product which means you can search for all kinds of
things. It is not used much here since it is for the U.S. and we
have more questions for Canada or other foreign areas. It of course
was very expensive ($2000. U.S.). Will the searching on the GNIS CD
be as comprehensive in approach (access by many types of features such
as cemetaries, canyons, schools, rivers, airports etc.)?
                             Joan Winearls, Map Libn
                             Univ of Toronto Library

      Tom Libert <[log in to unmask]>
      Thu, 21 Apr 94 16:46:56 EDT
         Re: GNIS CD

I'm planning to put it up on the Internet in the next
(international) version of the Geographic Name
Service (currently running on martini.eecs.umich.edu),
by the way.