From:
"[charley seavey]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 12:51:26 EDT

Like Alex I have mixed feelings about removing archaeological sites from maps--
   on
the other hand as a southwesterner I am painfully aware of the incredible amount
of destruction going on in remote Native American sites-- last year we had a
case in Tucson where a guy had gone out to a Hohokam site, and simply looted the
petroglyphs because he wanted some decoration for his yard.  At least he wasn't
selling the stuff for an outrageous profit.  Spelunkers have long had this
dilemma: how precisely do you want to locate a new cave because of the inevitabl
destruction that will ensue when it is discovered by the great unwashed.  At
the risk of coming down as an elitist swine, I am guardedly in favor of protecti
   ng
sites (archeological and caves) where possible-  it is kind of like putting the
rare books in special collections...  And Alex is right, any map carries informa
   tion
very selectively anyway...

charley seavey