From:
"Diana.Rivera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:29:08 EDT
This may be of some interest to the person inquiring about an associates
degree in GIS.

Diana Rivera
----------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )----------------------------------------
Date: Monday, 4 April 1994 11:14am ET
To: GIS-MSU
From: Ryan_J.Simmons
Subject: GIS Certification info

------------( Forwarded letter 2 follows )--------------------------------------
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:44:00 -0500
Sender:       Geographic Information Systems Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
From:         Rob Mcgrath <[log in to unmask]>
To:           Multiple recipients of list GIS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Newsgroup: comp.infosys.gis

To all interested in obtaining a certificate or diploma in GIS:

There is a school in Lawrencetown, Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, CANADA
which specializes in the instruction of GIS.  Main instruction is
centred on the use and application of Arc/Info on a SUN Mini capable of
handling about 35 users effectively (class size is limited to about
25-30).  Other GIS packages and platforms used are : SPANS (OS2), CARIS
(SUN UNIX), ArcCAD (DOS), Atlas (DOS), plus several smaller desktop GIS.

Additional required study includes Remote Sensing and Digital Image
Processing.  This is done in PCI EASI/PACE (DOS and RISC6000), Aries
DIPIX (VAX).

Programming is also a required course.  FORTRAN is taught in either VAX
or SUN UNIX environments (your choice).

The above is accomplished in 1 year and you end up with a GIS
certificate.  Optionally, you can return for a second year and go for a
GIS diploma.  Study includes additional ArcInfo and use of GPS and
programming in C.

This school has a *special* relationship with ESRI and always has the
latest and greatest (we had version 6.1 while the rest of the world was
discovering 6.0).  Also, there are several grads of this school who are
now working at ESRI (If you can pass this GRUELLING course, you are
almost a shoe-in).  I have 3 friends from this school who now work
there, and there are others for sure.  If you would like any of their
email addresses for further questions, send me a message and I'll give
them to you.  Not a good idea for me to broadcast their email addresses
I think.

Anyway, to get in to the school, a bachelor's degree in geography or
geology or forestry or engineering or environmental studies or some
related discipline is not specifically required (it doesn't say you need
it in the course calendar), but it seems everyone who has taken this
course has one, plus some related work experience.  You also have to
take an aptitude test which you can do in the city where you live.

The school is called College of Geographic Sciences on Elliot Road in
Lawrencetown, Annapolis Co., Nova Scotia.  Their phone number is:
(902) 584-2226.

Other courses offered include Remote Sensing (more involved that what
the GIS students have to take), surveying, planning (CPT), and a couple
of others i think.

I am a grad (cert. 1993) AND I have a job.  I only know of one grad from
my class who doesn't have a job and that's because she decided she
didn't like GIS.  Mind you, my job is on a contract basis only for now,
soooo, if any potential employers out there are reading this, please
feel free to contact me directly.

      ...  /        Rob McGrath, B.A., G.I.S.C.
    .01100.         405 Commissioners Road West, Suite 708
   .0110011.        London, Ontario, Canada   N6J 4G3
   .0100011.
    .01001.         (519) 473-8110 (voice)
   /  -+-           (519) 471-0318 (fax.)
       |            (416) 581-2939 (current office no.)

---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~ C++ should have been called D.