From:
Maureen Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 1994 18:00:41 EDT
We have a patron trying to identify the Showang River. The document she
is reading states that the author "left the Showang River in October
1784 to begin a voyage down the Mississippi to New Orleans" stopping
at Grand Gulf (which we have identified as 65 miles south of Jackson
Mississippi). No time of arrival in Grand Gulf is given. The patron
believes the context indicates that the Showang is a tributary of the
Mississippi.
We have checked current gazetteers such as Omni, Carlisle's Pocket
Gazetteer of 1795 and several editions of Morse.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Maureen Farrell
Map Collection, Cleveland Public Library
Library.Cpl.Org.