From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 12:30:56 EDT
First of all, thanks for the comments that I received so far.  Just a
brief note to add to the Marcive & maps matter.  Yesterday, I went to
the main library to copy Appendix B-Maps available for selection from
the Depository Library Manual.  I also decided to examine every item
related to maps that I could find (i.e. looked at every page that is
cited under the Map headings in the index).  Lo and behold, guess
what I found in the Bibliographic Control section?  On page 93 of the
Federal Depository Library Manual, I found:

"3.  CLASSIFICATION

IF THE LIBRARY HAS A RETROSPECTIVE MAP COLLECTION OF ANY SIZE, IT IS
RECOMMENDED THAT THE MAP CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM ALREADY IN USE FOR THE
ENTIRE MAP COLLECTION BE USED FOR DEPOSITORY RECEIPTS.  THE ADVANTAGE
OF THIS IS THAT ALL THE LIBRARY'S MAPS WILL BE IN ONE LOGICAL
SEQUENCE."

The section continues to discuss the G-schedule.  However, I think
that this answers my question.  Now all I have to do is figure out
how we will go about making the changes to the Marcive record (if we
use it).  Those of you who may be at odds with Marcive load and
classification may wish to examine the manual further.  Linda Zellmer