From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 1994 09:31:47 EDT
Greetings,
My sharp eyed student assistant, Drew noticed that on several recent USGS
depository shipments of 7.5 min. topos that several states appear to be going
thru some sort of quadrangle name change phase.  For example on shipping list
no. 94-19-TQ, all 27 sheets of Kansas have changed sheet name.  A tiny note
telling you the former sheet name is located on the bottom right corner of
the map.  This isn't a major problem, but it may present opportunities of
confusion if you are not using the
up-to-date-folded-up-new-fangled-green-booklet-index-which-ain't-really
a-booklet.  If you use the old stapled green booklets or the one sheet state
indexes (brown on white background single sheets), then you will be possibly
given a out of date sheet name.  So, if you are like our map collection and
keeping only the latest edition of the quads, you might want to remind your
staff to take note of incoming quads with notes of title change, and go back
and withdraw those older maps.

More importantly, if you aren't sure that the quad your patron is asking for
has changed names recently, you might want to check both "new-fangled" and
older "stapled green booklets".  I wonder which states are going thru this
name change phase besides Kansas?  For the record, you may want to make a
note on your Hawaii 7.5 min indexes that the following quads have changed
names on the most recent (1981-83) editions:
   Island of Molokai: Ilio Point, Molokai Airport, Kaunakakai, Kamalo and
                       Halawa sheets have been combined to form oversize
                       11x18min sheets, now renamed Molokai East and
                       Molokai West.
   Island of Hawaii:  Pololu Valley now renamed Honokane.

Just another thing to make your life more interesting, sorry for the message
being so long,
Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library Map Collection   mmmm...John, your suggestion of walking
                                         backwards only made me more dizzy.