From:
Date:
Fri, 20 May 1994 17:39:58 EDT
Three messages on hidden treasures and the lack of on maps.-------Johnnie

         Fri, 20 May 94 13:18 PDT
         "Virginia R. Hetrick"                       <[log in to unmask]>
         Comment on Hidden Treasure email

Lest some people think this information is being lost (and might result in
somebody's subsequently trashing a place unknowingly), there are (in all
states that I know about -- which are not all of them) archaeological
information centers, usually organized on a regional basis, and they keep
track of the detailed information on a confidential basis such that only
people who have a requirement to know (people doing environmental impact
statements for example) can find out the detailed information.  In California,
at least, it is illegal to divulge information of this type to the general
walking around public in the interest of preserving the sites, i.e., neither
the information center nor the researcher can turn it loose.
vh

      Fri May 20 16:27:20 EDT 1994
         Re: Hidden Treasure

O.K. Ethicists, are you going to destroy your 7.5s of these areas, and perhaps
the microfilm of the retrospective topos? Are you going to refuse to show
these to inquiring minds? Are you going to put topos for all sensitive areas
on "reserve" for limited use or something? Just curious, Alice

      Fri, 20 May 94 16:38:12 EDT
      [log in to unmask] (Gerald I. Evenden)
         Re: Hidden Treasure

>Date:         Fri, 20 May 1994 16:07:39 EDT
>Sender: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "John J. Fitzsimmons" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Hidden Treasure

>Greetings, mappers,
>
>Unfortunately, I reluctantly agree with the goverment's actions in this
>situation.  I have been to historic sites, such as the All-American Man
>in Canyonlands National Park, and observed graffitti at the site.  Not on
>the actual painting (in 1984), but around it.
>
>Unfortunately, looters and vandals will always be with us.  I think, from
>a preservation standpoint, that it is best to limit access to these sites.
>
>                      John Fitzsimmons
>                      SLIS, University of Pittsburgh
>
>On Fri, 20 May 1994, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

The proposed deletion is merely a form of censorship of legitimate
information.  It will have little, if any, effect on vandalism of
historic or archeologic site.  Most who are involved in such activities
do not have sufficient literacy to be able to read a map.  They
are cretins who stumble upon a location while ravaging the landscape
with their "recreational vehicles."  The few "professional" looters
know where the sites are by word of mouth or search them out and
are usually looking for new, unknown sites.

Again, this is censorship and I am totally and unequivocably against it.
What's next?

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: [log in to unmask]
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027