From:
Alex Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 10:22:48 EDT
Gerald I. Evenden notes that in removing historic sites and prehistoric
ruins from topographic maps we may be emulating countries practicing
"cartographic disinformation."  Understandably, he laments such action.

As an archaeologist, my feelings are quite a bit more mixed on the matter.
The rate of site destruction is staggering, and pothunters sometimes fetch
astronomical prices for looted material.  Putting the precise location of
archaeological sites on general maps is functionally similar to adding a
symbol for buried treasure--with predictable results.  Prehistoric sites
become moonscapes, dotted with craters and spoil heaps.

As a more general question for the cartographic community, is it
"cartographic disinformation" to leave some information off a map, as
opposed to adding spurious information or other forms of misinformation?
I had thought one of the central decisions in compiling a map was choosing
which pieces of information should be included, which passed over in its
preparation.  I'm not sure I understand why leaving off the location of
archaeological sites is "disinformation," any more than failing to note
the location of unusually good hamburger stands or other resources.  Many
archaeological sites are not highly visible, so I'm not convinced they
serve as critical landmarks.

I spent some time working in eastern Europe before the wall came down, and
the level of cartographic control was, well, different.  I remember using
a theodolite and discovering that two points were each higher than the
other, and spending a week trying to get the thing readjusted (not a task
I recommend, by the way).  Finally the county surveyor came out, and lost
patience as I was levelling the theodolite.  He (literally) slapped a
sherd down over the levelling bubble and then started shooting
topographic control points so fast that the rod man could hardly get the
rod tip down before he was being waved forward.  AFter a while I couldn't
stand it any more, and told the rod man to hold up while I checked a
reading.  Not even close.  The surveyor laughed delightedly and said
"trust is a wonderful thing.  Control is a better one."

The maps he sent us were works of art.  Take that any of several ways.

Alex Barker
Curator of Archaeology
Dallas Museum of Natural History