From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 1994 14:55:29 EDT
Our head of documents sent me a material safety data sheet today
on Nautical Charts that was issued by the Defense Mapping Agency.
Seems that until last August, formaldehyde resins were used to
manufacture the paper used to print the charts, so the charts could
now be de-gassing formaldehyde.  The data sheet gives the symptoms
that could be expected from the charts, carcinogenicity data, and
symptoms of overexposure.  It also states:
"Store open bulk quantities in areas with good mechanical exhaust
ventilation and a source of fresh make-up air."  It also says that
recycling is not recommended.  The data sheet is dated 9 December
1993.

Since most of us are storing the charts in closed map cabinets, what,
if anything, should we do differently?  Discussion appreciated.
Linda Zellmer