From:
Margaret Wilkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 17:33:22 EDT

message----------------------------
> To whom it may concern,
>                                                         I am
trying to
> reference a portion of British Hydrographic chart of Port
Resolution, Tanna
> Island, Southern New Hebrides.  The chart # in the bottom right
hand corner
> is 1508.   I have a photocopy of the bottom left corner of this
chart but
> need a complete reference for my Masters thesis research.  Can
anyone
> assist?
>
> Jeff Chen,
> Dept of Geosciences,
> University of Texas at Austin.

Dear Jeff,

I am afraid that we do not have this particular chart in our
collection, but I have been able to find a reference to chart
that could be the one you are looking for in an old _Catalogue
of Admiralty Charts, Plans, and Sailing Directions_, published
in 1908. Chart 1508, based on surveys between 1875 and 1894 is
entitled:

 _Anchorages in New Hebrides Islands:-Port Resolution. Lisburn
anchorage. Lenakel (Sangalie) anchorage. Walurigi anchorage.
Dundui anchorage. South-west bay. Wei sisi bay. Steep Cliff bay.
Cliff bay and Barree bay. Betrara anchorage._ Various scales and
authorities. 20 x 27 inches. With large corrections to August
1906 and small corractions to November 1906.

I hope this may be of some help. The Librarian of the British
Hydrographic Office based in Taunton in Somerset, may be able to
assist you further in identifying the particular chart you
referring to.

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Fleet
Assistant Map Curator

CHRIS FLEET
NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND, 33 SALISBURY PLACE
         EDINBURGH EH9 1SL.   SCOTLAND
TEL: 031-226-4531 x 3411.   FAX: 031-668-3472.
E-MAIL :  [log in to unmask]