Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 1994 15:56:15 EDT
Now that I have your attention...

Leaving out the names of persons currently living (naturally) and working in
map libraries around the world---

What are the names of mapmakers, publishers, dealers, who have given their
lives for their maps? Might be for military reasons, for intellectual freedom,
anti-censorship,  religious liberty...

While the topic intrigues me, my brain cells are not responding...there must
be some obvious names here.

Can you tell it is Friday afternoon? NO, seriously folks, this is for my boss,
and relates to a possible exhibition here linking freedom/liberty issues and
the printed word, or in my case the cartographic image.

Your input is appreciated. Please post to maphist or maps-l, as I think the
topic may interest others.

Alice Hudson
Map Division, NYPL