Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 17:12:48 EST

A quick look at Steiler"s 1893 Hand -Atlas and Ritter
Geographisch-statistisches Lexikon (1874) does not reveal any place name
such as "Selaria." These are among the standard sources that we use often
to trace early place names and place names on the changing landscape of
Europe from the mid-nineteenth century through World War II. I believe
that Ritter's has been reprinted several times by European publishers.
Places not found in either of the above sources have "usually" proved to
not exist or required many hours of additional research.

I would appreciate hearing from some of our European colleagues on these
sources I think are useful and those that they may use in their place
name research.

David A. Cobb                           PH  (617) 495-2417
Harvard Map Collection                  FAX (617) 496-9802
Harvard College Library                 [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138

                          VE * RI * TAS