From:
"Barrow, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 1994 11:57:42 EST
  I need to prepare a series of maps illustrating the growth
of Cleveland for a book and I am looking for tips on how to
make them easily understood by the general readership.  However,
the page size only permits maps of about 14.5 cm by 21 cm and I
am concerned that squeezing an entire county into that frame will
result in a scale too small to permit the comprehension of essential
details.  Showing a network of railroad lines in 1890, for instance,
would be enhanced by providing referencing landmarks, political
boundaries, etc (perhaps in half-tones), but such orienting details
may make the maps too cluttered.
  No doubt it is the resolution of such problems that marks great
cartography and can only be acquired by practice and genius.  Lacking
both, what might I consider to solve the problem today?  Has anyone
wrestled with this problem recently?  I'd appreciate any tips!
  Also, I understand that some have imported TIGER files or MapExpert
files into programs like CorelDraw to produce publication-quality maps,
rather than create them on paper.  Given the simplicity of the maps I
expect to create (black on white line drawings), perhaps that is more
than I need and perhaps I could just run off some maps at the university
GIS lab using some available electronic county map files and the output
functions of, say, MapInfo to get a final product.
  I'd love to hear from anyone trying to generate publication-quality
maps on some sort of software program, or anyone with ideas on how to make
small scale maps easier to comprehend.
Bill Barrow