From:
Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 09:35:05 EDT

Hello, Mapfolk:  Well, I got quite a few responses from folks on encapsulating
edgetaped maps, and since it was hard to summarize their comments, I thought I'd
just pass them on without all the header info.  The results are pretty mixed, wh
   ich
isn't what I had hoped for, but that's life, huh?  Thanks to all who responded.

                                Jim O'Donnell
                                Caltech Geology Library
*******
My original message:

We're beginning a project to encapsulate our Los Angeles County 6' topos,
and we've come up against a problem we've managed to avoid before:  what to
do with edge-taped maps.  Some of our copies were edge-taped, and I'm sure
I want to remove that tape before encapsulation.  However, like most tapes
it appears to be pretty permanently affixed, and even when I've managed to
remove some without doing too much damage to the map (don't worry, I haven't
done much of this yet) it still leaves a residue.  My options appear to
be:
        1.  leave the tape on.
        2.  remove what I can and figure out what to do about the residual
                glue?  [What might that be, by the way?]
        3.  Trim the edges off.  [Most would probably not lose any
                information, although a couple appear to have had reprint
                info obscured.]

Could I have some advice, please?  Reply to me directly, and I'll summarize
for the list at a later date.

Thanks mucho.

*******
From: Michael Noga 310-825-6485 <[log in to unmask]>

Jim,
   Has the glue in the tape turned yellow?  It might migrate further into the
sheets.  Are all your copies edge-taped?  If not, it might not be a bad idea
to trim the tape from some of the copies.  I will be interested to hear what
some of the map conservators say.                Michael

*******
From: [log in to unmask]  (Bruce Robin)

I am the technician at the University of Ottawa Map Library, and I
have had to deal with the same problem.  Many of the maps in our
collection were edged years ago using non-archival tape.  For this
reason, and a few others, my supervisor arranged a work term for me at
the Conservation Branch of the National Archives of Canada.  So
perhaps I can comment on your situation.

First, if removing the tape involves damaging the map, and the map
has some intrinsic value, then I would simply encapsulate it.
Trimming off the edges remains an option so long as information is
not lost.  (Note: The adhesive will likely eat its way through the
paper with the fullness of time, and one could end up with pieces of
edging film/paper floating about inside the encapsulation envelope).
For our Canadian topos, I generally trim off the edging.

Secondly, removing the tape by other means will be time consuming.  I
would use an artist's paten, a fine paintbrush, and 99% isopropyl
alcohol to dissolve the adhesive (test any nearby inks to see whether
they run!).  Often the film can be removed with just the artists
paten if the edging is old.  Blotting paper can be used to soak up
the diluted adhesive.  You can also use a high quality eraser
to remove much of the adhesive without alcohol.  Some staining will be
inevitable.

More extreme measures can be taken using harsher chemical agents, but
then a fume hood would be required, etc.

I look forward to seeing your resume of suggestions.

*******
From: Eric Schmidt 974-4315 <[log in to unmask]>

        The following is a response from our head of Preservation. I
    forwarded your posting from MAPS-L to him and asked him for
    suggestions. We do some map preservation here, but not too much. Of our
    300,000+ map collection, only a handfull are very old or valuable. I
    offer you his reply to me. It seems like more of a referral than a
    suggestion, but it might lead you to your answers.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Eric Schmidt
University of Tennessee
Cartographic Information Center
(615) 974-4315
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    Eric- We left that kind of stuff on even when the topos were dipped in
    a deacidification solution . . . . It is possible that some could be
    removed if a problem of bulk, but removing the glue is potentially a
    big problem.

    I would suggest that he contact Walter Henry at Stanford and ask to be
    added to the Conser Dist List. He can then learn how to access COOL-
    Conservation online for all the information he will ever need or he can
    field  his question to the subscribers who will offer How we done it
    good solutions.                  <[log in to unmask]>

*******
From: Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Jim,
Our Preservation Dept. has a nifty little tool that they purchased from
University Products, Inc.  Don't know the name of it other than what we call
it - "the cellaphane tape removal thingie".  It is basically a plug-in
heating device with a chisel-shaped head.  The chisel heats up the tape
adhesive and slides under the tape, removing it and most of the gummy
adhesive.  We've used it on several maps that were borrowed by patrons who
didn't know any better and used tape to display maps.

It works quite well on newly applied cellaphane tape.  Haven't tried it on
old dried up brown tape.  It probably won't work on that as well.  I also
have not used it on anything that is very valuable or brittle.

Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library Map Collection

*******
From: [log in to unmask]

Late response - sorry!! I would "CUT" (Yes, I said cut!) the tape edges
off completely and then encapsulate. Good Luck.
David A. Cobb                           PH  (617) 495-2417
Harvard Map Collection                  FAX (617) 496-9802
Harvard College Library                 [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138