From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 10:07:27 EDT
These messages are from Mary Larsgaard.----------------------Johnnie

       : Bill Stewart
    : Sat, 02 Sep 95 15:30:57 -0700

In case you haven't heard - Bill Stewart (Cartographic Imports) is having some
difficulties.  The following is summarized from:
Lessenberry, Jack.  1995.  "Making federal case of it."  Detroit Metro Times,
August 9-15.
A commercial firm asked Stewart to check out some maps of India on file at
Cornell.  Eventually Bill ended up with a computer tape of spatial data (Digital
Terrain Elevation Data); it developed that these were restricted data.  It
percolated to Federal agents that Bill had these; a sting was set up, Bill sold
tapes to them, and soon after Bill was charged with stealing government
property.  On May 16, he was found guilty of charges.  He is to be sentenced
September 8; sentencing guidelines are 27 to 33 months in a Federal
penitentiary.
For more information, or to donate money to the bill stewart Legal Defense
Committee, get in touch with the Committee at 820 Granger, Ann Arbor MI 48104,
or Ellis Boal, Attorney, 925 Ford Building, Detroit MI 48226, 313/962-2770.

Mary Larsgaard
Santa Barbara CA

I just realized that I forgot to note that Bill did not know the tapes were
restricted.
Mary Larsgaard