From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 10:03:54 EDT
This message is from Jim Coombs.---------Johnnie

    :         Tue, 05 Sep 95 11:16:54 CDT
    :         Jim Coombs <JAC324F@SMSVMA>
       :      Hurricane Luis

Folks,

I thought you all might be interested in reading that I talked to my brother
yesterday on the phone.  The exciting part is that he was inside his yacht tied
to the mangroves in English Harbor, Antigua.  Aside from reassuring me that
he and his 5 companions are surviving Luis, it was a conversation that could
only be possible in this age of telecommunication: he could contact me dialing
long distance on his boatphone, and it was like  he was in the next room, even
though waves were washing over the boat and the wind was roaring past at 140
mph.  I had accessed maps and data on the web, and so I could describe to him
what it was like from above, and he could describe to me what it was like from
below.

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Southwest Missouri State U