From:
Cathy Moulder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 14:39:08 EDT

  I am having difficulty identifying a map found in our Norway drawer.  The
map is titled "Norway" and the only other publication information is
"Walker & Boutall sculpserunt" printed outside the neat line lower
right.  There is an inset upper left titled "Continuation Northwards".
Printed on a sheet of good quality watermarked paper 69 x 43 cm, with
deckled edges all sides.  The map has been folded at one time, perhaps to
fit a book pocket?  Visual scale bars in Norse Miles and English Miles.

  At first I thought all I needed was a date, and I attempted to match
the counties and places shown to figure out the time period.  Some of the
county names are correct and the city of Oslo is correct.  Other county
names are pretty close, slight misspellings so I thought I had just not
identified the right language.  Some places are just incorrectly named (or
made up?).  The bordering territory on the south east of Norway is called
"Elfhome".  In the northern part of the map there are areas marked
"Sparebiders Folk", "Stiordale Folk", "Gauldale Folk", etc.  I'm
beginning to suspect this is a map to accompany a fictional work...!

  I have checked serious geographical sources and also several
dictionaries of imaginary places without success.  Can anybody suggest a
work of English fiction that is based on "not really Norway"?  All
suggestions gratefully accepted.  Except that I can't just throw it away
because somebody important saw me working on it, and it has become a
Reference Challenge which I can't refuse!  Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy Moulder, Curator          Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 24745
Lloyd Reeds Map Collection      FAX: (905) 546-0625
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada