Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 1994 23:30:36 EST
I have been receiving questions about purchasing satellite images in hard
copy (print) format without paying thousands of dollars.  So for those
who are not aware of it I thought I would share the following information:

If persons are looking for examples of LANDSAT imagery but not doing specific
research there are thousands of images available from Earth Observation Satel-
lite Company (EOSAT). These are located in their Remote Sensing Imagery Library
Negative file.  Some of the images are from news event;i.e. Hurricane Andrew,
Burning Oil Fields in Kuwait, Oil Spill in the Persian Gulf, and Before &
After Flooding of ST Louis (1 image).  Also all images in the EOSAT compli
mentary calendar are now for sale.  We have purchased Color prints approx.
20"X20" size for $300.00 each.  The images we received were high qualty and
would have cost me @ $2900 ea.  Of course the selection is limited but you can
write or Fax(301-552-3762) inquries for specific sites and/or Lat. & Long.
User's Services will check to see if there are any print format available for
the sites.  When dealing with a time constraint, I have called their Phone
number 1-800-344-9954.  However, I would recommend written communication.

Also for those who are unware of it, Space Shuttle Imagery is available in
many formats including print.  Their 20" size is @ $60.  There is an
enormous amount of imagery available from most shuttle flights.  Some
are high quality and some inferior.  Most of images are from hand held cameras
The quality can vary because of reflectivity, radiation, angle of the shuttle,
cloud cover, etc.  For frequent users there is a catalog published for each
shuttle flight which is indexed by geographic area.  However, for the random
user you can get information including a price list from  US Geological Survey,
EROS Data Center, Sioux Falls, SD 57198.  Phone 605-594-6151.  The User's
Services people have been good about helping to select the best image but
often I buy a slide of the image first to see if it is of the quality I
want.  It is easier if you are located near one of their six viewing centers.
Other Sources for Photography Orders are Media Services Branch, Still Photo-
graphy, NASA Lyndon Johnson Space Center P.O. Box 58425, Mail Code AP3
Houston, TX 77258.  Phone (713-483)-42310) and the Technology Applications
Center, Univ. of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-6031; phone (505)-277
3622.

Of course, there are many other remote sensing images available for persons
conducting research.  Extensive digital products are available, however,
this listing is for those seeking hard copy photographs of Earth from space.
Hope this helps the people who have been calling us.
HelenJane Armstrong, Map & Imagery Library, University of Florida.