From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 16:23:48 EDT
3 messages.----------------------------Johnnie

>Date: 19 Sep 1995 09:26:09 -0800
>From: "Joe Crotts" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Moving Map cases .. Forwarded mail

A fully packed map case can exceed 600 lbs.  One can easily damage the case,
the movers, and everything in between and along the way by trying to move a
loaded case.  By all means remove the drawers.

>From: Gilbert S Porter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Moving Map cases ..
>Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 12:48:37 -0500 (CDT)

Mary Bocaccio:  Our experience at UW-Milwaukee was different last July.
The maps were left in the cases, the movers separated the case sections,
and moved them full.  Since they were too large to fit through the doors,
the sections were tipped back and up so they could slip through.  Tipping
the drawers back avoided the chore of taping or otherwise blocking the
drawers from opening.  Admittedly the contents of the drawers slid to the
back and bunched up.  It was an easy job to go through the drawers and
flatten everything out.  Don't be intimidated too much by the prospect of
moving.  The comtemplation is much worse than the fact.

Good luck.
Skip Porter
Geography Department Map Librarian
UW-Milwaukee
Milwaukee Wisconsin

>Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Lundquist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Moving Map cases .. Forwarded mail

Johnnie-

I must have missed the original enquiry re moving map cases but would
like to add my own experiences.

The Shields Library at the Univ. of California, Davis added a new wing
which was opened April 1990.  All of the reference departments, including
Documents/Maps were moved into this new wing.  We made enquiries
regarding the best way to move the map collection consisting of mainly 45
Hamilton (and 9 Stacor) map cases.  It was decided to move the cases
loaded.  We packed the drawers with 1" sheets of styrofoam to keep the
maps from slipping as the cases would have to be upended to get through
the doors to the freight elevators.  We used professional movers (the
only way to go!!) and considering we had to move cases from 3 different
locations, the move went very smoothly, taking only 3 hours.  There was
no damage of any kind to maps or the map cases.  If anyone wishes further
details of our move, please feel free to contact me either via email or
telephone.

David Lundquist
Map Section
Shields Library