Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 12:28:14 EDT

This is being posted on LIS-MAPS, MAP-HIST, and MAPS-L, on
behalf of Helen Wallis, retired Map Librarian of the British
Library, who does not have access to email.

It is addressed to her many friends and colleagues around the
world.

"I returned to London on 14 April after a successful and
enjoyable two and a half months in Australia, as the first
Scholar-in-Residence at the Mitchell Library, Sydney. The
trip was marred only by my developing thrombosis from the
effects of the long flight out.  Despite this, I was able to
keep up a very busy programme and had to cancel just one
lecture.

The medical tests to check the thrombosis in Sydney
unfortunately revealed the possibility that I had suffered a
recurrence of the cancer for which I was hospitalized in
January 1993.  On returning to London I had a spell in St
Mary's Hospital, Paddington and am sorry to report that this
diagnosis proved true.  I am now undergoing chemotherapy as
an outpatient.  I have been greatly supported by the good
wishes of so many friends and send warm greetings in return."

I can add to this that Helen is in extremely good spirits,
her irrepressible energy undiminished, as she works on the
final stages of 'The Historians' Guide to Early British
Maps', which is nearing publication.

I know she would love to hear from friends and colleagues, at
96 Lord's View, St Johns Wood Road, London NW8 7HG; Tel:
(0)71 286 7156.

Tony Campbell, Map Library, British Library
Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Janet:     [log in to unmask]