From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:47:05 EST
3 messages.-----------------------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:13:21 -0500
>From: C Denise Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: GIS and levels of service

Well...

I suppose it's my turn.  The discussion has been quite interesting and
informative.  Thus, I don't know if my comments are of much value.  I do
feel strongly that what is appropriate library-based activity (with
respect to spatial resources, or anything else) is defined by the research
needs and service expectations of our clientele.  The 'line' is getting
pretty hard to find in some environments.  It seems that we are challenged
to develop capabilities which are consistently and competently supported,
wherever our insitution resides on the service spectrum.

Clearly, we are beyond the question of whether we should do what we are
increasingly called to do.   (End of speech)

Now, to answer the questions.

1) Have you learned ArcView adequately to produce a map?
     yes

2) Working with someone who has?
     yes

3) Do you make maps for patrons?
     yes

     a) charge?
          no

     b) turnaround time?

          as agreed/scheduled

     c) point to computer?
          if user indicates no assistance is needed

     d) differentiate between users?
          yes
4) Can't provide map?

        Assist with appropriate search strategy and/or contact
        provider.

5) Level of service should we be providing?
         The broadest service which meets the range of user needs
         within our available resources. Data and hardware for
         experienced users.  Commercial packages
         and our own interfaces/coverages for novice to frequent
         users.

Okay, I appropriated Ms. Collins' questions.  They work nicely for me.

Denise Stephens
Geographic Information Center
University of Virginia Library

>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 21:08:38 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Re"2": GIS & levels of service

Thank you for standing up for what you believe in.  It sounds like the grumpy
old man should have changed professions long ago.

>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 96 11:22 EST
>From: [log in to unmask] (dt11)
>Subject: Re: Re"2": GIS & levels of service

I am not sure I have captured the essence of the Keenan epistle, but I feel
compelled to address the issue of universities using cheap labour. I will
confine my remarks to a single instance - here at the UMCP my department a
few years ago closed down its mapping services unit because it could not
compete in price with commercial establishments (or possible other colleges
doing things differently from us). If pricing is based on full costing then
there is much more to what one charges to make and deliver maps to clients
than the alleged cheap labor - machine depreciation, materials, lighting,
space use, etc.

dt

Derek THOMPSON (professor)         Email: [log in to unmask]
                                    [ or [log in to unmask] ]
Department of Geography            Phone:       301-405-4063
University of Maryland             Fax:         301-314-9299
College Park, MD 20742  (USA)