From:
Ellen Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:17:21 EDT
This message has been posted to PACS-L, MAPS-L, and USMARC to encourage the
widest possible discussion.  Please forward to other lists whose members
would be interested in the topic.  And thanks!  Ellen

As vendors begin to offer client-server architecture and other
improvements to online catalogs, it seems appropriate to take a look at
what features were desired in second-generation systems. The ALA Catalog
Use Committee believes the CONDOC RFP is a good place to start evaluating
the progress of library system vendors since 1981.

CONDOC (Consortium to Develop an Online Catalog) was a group of
librarians from 125 medium- sized university and small college libraries,
chaired by Kaye Gapen of the Iowa State University Library. At the 1981
ALA Midwinter conference CONDOC distributed a survey to its members.
Respondents ranked 40 features of an online catalog. The results were
incorporated (as appendix A) in CONDOC's "Request for Proposal for an
Online Catalog."

The Catalog Use Committee has posted the original CONDOC document at two
sites.  We invite comments from librarians, researchers, vendors, and other
OPAC users.  We would value your input as we work to develop CONDOC2 at
the 1996 ALA Annual Conference in New York. Respond to Jon Cawthorne at

You can retrieve CONDOC from the committee homepage at
http://hsl-mac4.med.ohio-state.edu/Catalog_Use/research.html

That "hsl" is for Health Sciences Library (not a numeral one and the
address is case-sensitive).  This file is about 40K and under 30 pages if
you want to print it. (The source is messy so we do not advocate
downloading it.)  The homepage is available at least during
Monday-Friday, 8:30 to 5:00 eastern time and maybe more if the roof is
actually fixed.

The file is also available via email from the AUTOCAT filelist.  You may
get the file by sending
to:  [log in to unmask]
the email message:
GET CONDOC REPORT

If you have problems getting the file from the AUTOCAT filelist contact
Douglas Winship ([log in to unmask])  Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner

If you have problems with the report or the home page, contact Ellen
Crosby at the address below.
Ellen Crosby                            [log in to unmask]
Indiana Historical Society Library      317/232-1879 voice
315 W. Ohio St.                         317/233-3109 fax
Indianapolis IN 46202                   http://www.ihs1830.org