From:
Date:
Fri, 13 May 1994 10:16:25 EDT
3 messages concerning loaning maps.----------Johnnie

      Fri, 13 May 1994 16:32:22 GMT+1000
         Re: Loaning maps from academic libraries

        Graham,
                Well, I must have my 2c worth about this. The
    question of map loans is a welcome one. Perhaps they could
    go out in mailing tubes or some similar container. They can be
    rolled with the "Hanger" edge innermost. The tubes would have
    to be generous in diameter. I am sure the possibility of
    borrowing maps would enhance the appeal of even this dated
    collection to the user population. Cheers, Judith

      Thu, 12 May 1994 15:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
      Phil Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Loaning maps from academic libraries

We lend maps -- generally for one week.  Rare and antique maps are, of
course, not lent, and those in heavy demand (primarily local maps and air
photos) go out for 2 hours.  There is some damage to maps that go out and
some don't get returned on time or at all.  On balance, we feel that these
are relatively minor problems and are outweighed by the benefits to our
users -- Phil Hoehn, Earth Sciences & Map Library, Univ. of California,
Berkeley ([log in to unmask])

      John Sutherland <[log in to unmask]
      Re: Loaning maps from academic libraries

     The University of Georgia Map Collection loans about 90% of its
holdings.  We do not circulate rare and non-replaceable materials.  We do buy
duplicates of heavily used local materials so that we have a non-circulating
copy and circulating copies.  Our lost rate is around 2 percent.  That is
about 2 per cent of the materials we loan have to be replaced because they are
not returned, are badly damaged, or are worn out from use.
     We put checked-out items in a tube for patrons when we think such
protection is needed or at the patrons request.  Many collections that loan
maps always send the maps out in tubes.  Some collections use tubes purchased
and distinctively marked for that purpose.

Johnnie Sutherland
Map Collection
University of Georgia Libraries