From:
Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:57:40 EST

Last week Charlie wrote the memo copied at the bottom of this
response.  Though Charlie was writing about copywrite and data
lineage, there was a brief comment on generating files out of TIGER.
Charlie, I understand what you were getting at there, but please
allow me touse it to springboard to another issue.  The issue of
whether the "user" wants bitmapped images, either on paper or on
disk, or wants the data which they can manage and analyze on thier
own system.

On MAGIC, we have invested in distributing spatial information as
geo-spatial data, not as maps.

I tried the "reference desk" approach back at the beginning of the
ARL Project.  I used Dr. Doolittle to create census block groups
and tracts of the counties of Connecticut, extracted general data
variables from STF1 for population and housing, and made them
available using AV1 in the Map Library, the Reference Desk area and
the Geography Department's Computer Lab.  It was a non-event.  The
users really wanted coverages.  At this point, I'd like to ask for
honest feedback from the participants.  Is this just a UConn thing?
The times when someone came to "make a map" they really wanted, and
did, import their own data into census and line data MAGIC had
available.  Have others found this sort of thing to be true?

This January we converted all of the TIGER 95 data to Arc and MIF and
found some cheap HTTPD software to run on our Novell server.  We have
been allowing FTP transfer of our data since 5/94, but the interface
was terrible.  HTTP has enabled us to build a graphical,
cartographical interface to the data.  All the data are in the public
domain, none from Wessex or ESRI is available online.  The numbers
speak for themselves.  There is a LOT of interest.

 Month        Bytes       Files     Minutes

6/30/94    54,754,676      222       30,278
8/30/94    66,827,165       66          982
10/31/94    7,851,801      239       12,619
7/30/95     8,502,348        9          101
8/30/95       161,738       19        2,659
9/30/95     5,978,020      474       15,827
10/31/95   50,273,595      167        5,941
11/30/95    7,554,192      366        4,171
12/31/95   20,199,325      254       11,138
1/30/96    20,364,861      120       11,138
2/29/96   108,656,028    1,024       57,273
3/31/96   355,994,877    3,100       67,610

Some further comments.  These data are zipped at an 85% compression
ratio, so multiply for a true value.  When the user downloads, they
engage in an active decision to own the data.  The data and program
run on their machines.  They make the map.  We might, and do, print
them here when they want a better printer than what they have handy,
but we are printing files that have been layed out, not holding hands
to lay out.  In general, only 1/3 of the users are academic, here at
UConn, Yale and the Connceticut State Universities,  more are
commercial and public.  The major use in in the state, but
consultants as far away as Virginia have spent time and
telecommunication costs downloading files.

Discussion?  Is it our role to make maps?  Is it our role to enable
map making?  There are a lot of questions inherent in the path MAGIC
is taking.

Forum?

Patrick McGlamery
Map Librarian