From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:41:22 EDT
Many thanks to all who replied to my question about Middletown, California.
Just for the record, I got over twenty separate replies, so many thanks to
one and all. My daughter will be well-and-truly impressed! The following
example, from John Shanton, was drawn at random from the ones received.
Thanks also to everyone who offered to post/fax me location maps. Rather
than swamp our fax machine and post service with redundancy, I have
accepted one such offer, and hope the rest of you don't feel shunned :-)

A number of people queried the "six hours from L.A. bit". Looking at the
map, now that I know where to look, I understand your skepticism. I guess
this is a good example of a (eleven year old) child's view of time and space.
They aren't the ones who do the driving. They just sit in the back asking
"are we there yet" every ten minutes or so :-)

>Darius:   Middletown is located in Lake County and is due north of San
>Francisco Bay approx. 60 miles.  It is to the east of Lake Sonoma approx. 20
>miles and due south of Clear Lake.  If you have a road map of the state
>follow Rt. 101 north from where it crosses the north end of SF Bay.  I'll
>send to you a copy of the state road map and a California Family Travel Map.
>The travel map showes the relief of the state in shaded relief.
>
>John Shanton
>USGeological Survey
>Earth Science Info. Cntr.
>507 Nat. Cntr.
>Reston, Va. 22092
>USA
>
>Have fun with the maps.  If there is any thing else I may help you with just
>kick and e-mail my way.
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Internet: [log in to unmask]          WWW: http://www.ucc.ie:80/ucc.depts/geography
"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of
legitimate operators". - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' (1984. Harper Collins)