From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:27:34 EDT
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Eric Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>         I have a patron who is looking for a small Polish town, probably
> wiped out during WWII, named Ascherleben. It is supposed to be in the
> general area of Poznan (Pozen), and if it's still around, would have a
> different name today. This is not, however, the town of Aschersleben in
> Germany, I already tried that one.
>         If anyone might have a source to identify its lat/long, I can
> find it - or at least its approximate location - on a map here. I've
> checked in "Where Once We Walked", and that's where I found the German
> Aschersleben. The one we're looking for though has no "s" in the middle
> of it. It's just Ascherleben. Any help would be great.

There was no locality called "Ascherleben" anywhere within the boundaries
of the German Empire of 1871.  There are, however, *2* localities named
Aschersleben:
1.   D-06449 Aschersleben, a town in the former Prussian province of
     Saxony.
2.   D-17379 Aschersleben bei Torgelow, a tiny village and estate
     (combined population at the turn of the century:  130) in the former
     county [Kreis] of Ueckermuende, in the Prussian province of
     Pomerania.  It lies just east of Ferdinandshof, on the rail- and
     road line, almost exactly midway between Anklam and Pasewalk.

Neither of these localities is anywhere near the former Prussian province
of Posen.  If the locality you see is in this province, "Ascherleben" is
most probably a mistranscription of "Ascherbude", a village (1911
population:  370) and Protestant parish in Kreis Filehne, in the district
[Regierungsbezirk] of Bromberg.  It is now called Biernatowo, and lies
approximately 12 kilometers northeast of Wielen (German:  Filehne).

Michael Palmer
--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California