From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:17:48 EST
Geonetters,
  This is the discussion that has appeared on Govdoc-L.  If anyone at
USGS is listening out there, what should (can) we do to help?  Linda
Zellmer, University of Wyoming

Date sent:      Wed, 30 Nov 1994 09:56:00 -0600 (CST)
From:           Patricia Inouye <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Re: Cutting the USGS
To:             Multiple recipients of list GOVDOC-L <[log in to unmask]>
Send reply to:  Discussion of Government Document Issues <[log in to unmask]>

This has been a reference question I have been working on intermitantly.
Apparently, after the republications created the "Contract with America",
the republican prospect for becoming the Chair of the House Budget
Committee began to talk about budget cut proposals that the House Budget
Committee Republicans created during the last budget rounds.  The list is
quite scary, including disestablishment of USGS and other agencies,
social services cuts, etc.  I called the Republican headquarters in DC
and they had not yet connected the "Contract with America" with these
budget cut proposals.  So it appears to be action taken by Cong. John R.
Kasich, the prospect for chair of the House Budget Committee.  There is a
Wall Street Journal article on Friday, Nov. 18, 1994 A6 (w), C19 (e).
Your article was from AP so I assume there have been articles on the
topic.  I was just about to call the House Budget Committee to obtain a
copy of the publication the list came from.

Sorry, Bill, I didn't get those Miscellaneous Publications to you.  Would
you like to have them mailed?

Patsy Inouye
UC Davis