From:
Jim Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:26:01 EDT
We have had problems with labels drying up and falling off.  We have gone
to aquiring on of those rubber stamp sets where you can set up a call number
and stamp it on the map.  This works best for sets of maps where many maps
get the same call number (ie. topographic quadrangles). We still type labels
for "monograph" maps, although we also write the call number on it in pencil.
That way, if the label falls off we still know what the call number is.

IMHO, using labels makes the maps look more like official library property;
more like the books with their call number labels.  If your maps tend to be
seen as the "neglected stepchildren" of the library, using call number labels
can help dispell that image

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Southwest Missouri State University